Phoenix Skateboard Accident Lawyer
Skateboarding can be a fun, exhilarating activity, and an excellent way to get from A to B without the hassles and stresses of driving or using packed public transport. Even those of us whose only real experience of skateboarding has been playing the numerous themed video games can appreciate how liberating and thrilling the pastime is. However, as with many hobbies enjoyed by the more thrill-seeking amongst us, skateboarding is also a highly risky activity. Did you know that around 64,000 people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms for skateboard accident-related injuries every year? Or that, in many of these cases, the fault lay with someone other than the skateboard accident victim?
If you are injured while riding your skateboard around Phoenix, you could benefit from the legal expertise of an esteemed personal injury attorney from Lorona Mead.
The Statistics Relating to Skateboarding Injuries and Accidents
Most of the skateboard accident statistics currently available relate to the United States as a whole, but the risks remain the same regardless of where you intend to skateboard. Over the almost two-decade-long period studied by American researchers, spanning 1990 – 2008:
- 64,500 children and teenagers were treated in the ER each year, equating to around 176 per day
- The most common injuries include fractures and dislocations
- 5 skateboarders were killed in fatal accidents, all of which involved colliding with a motor vehicle. However, the researchers involved suspect that deaths are underreported and the true figure may be higher
- The number of skateboarding injuries fell between 1990 and 1994, then increased again between 1994 and 2008
- Males are more likely to be injured in skateboard accidents than females
- 40% of skateboard accidents happened at home, with 30% occurring on public highways
While skateboarding is clearly a risky activity, it also provides excellent aerobic exercise and even those researchers involved in compiling these statistics do not believe that it is overly dangerous and should be stopped. Instead, it is important to take all possible safety precautions, such as wearing a helmet while skateboarding.
What Type of Skateboard Accidents Can a Phoenix Attorney Help With?
If you have been injured while using your skateboard, and the injuries occurred due to the negligence or willful wrongdoing of another person or party, a Lorona Mead Phoenix personal injury attorney may recover compensation and damages on your behalf. Some of the potential scenarios leading to a Phoenix skateboard accident lawsuit may include:
- A skateboarder being injured due to a poorly-maintained piece of equipment at a skate park
- A skateboarder being struck by a motor vehicle whose driver was distracted, speeding, driving while intoxicated, or otherwise acting recklessly
- A skateboarder struck by a driver entering a pedestrian zone
- Injuries sustained because of a defective helmet
- Injuries sustained as a result of a defective skateboard
If you have sustained serious injuries – including concussion, broken bones, traumatic brain injury, paralysis, spinal cord injuries, and similar – while using your skateboard, our lawyers may recover compensation on your behalf.
To schedule your free initial consultation with a Phoenix skateboard accident attorney, call Lorona Mead today on 602-554-0006.